It is currently 25 Feb 2017, 10:19

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum rules

Heading Format

Site name and date (if needed) where interview came from with a link to the interview. Don't copy and past the interview

Or

Magazine name and date with a typed/scanned copy of the interview. If you typed/scanned it yourself please state if it can be added to the gallery/articles

Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 12:10 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Thanks to Kirsty for the above banner

I have realised that I don't have a link to Lonna Poland's site who is mentioned in one of the questions so here it is and will be adding to the site next update

There will be more questions added each week thorough at the month, I still can't believe I manged to keep quite about this! Also Audio will be posted in the Members Birthday Celebrations Section shortly

Question 003 - From Kerri: Do you find it weird that there are fan sites about you? (Thanks for that KB!)

I suppose I don't find it weird because I did when it first happened and therefore having accepted it, I know it's there.
When Lonna Poland approached my manger in California, which was probably 1982, she would know better than I, but I'm sure it was 1982, it seem to me to a very strange thing, seemed to be rather an American thing because I hadn't really experienced it much in the UK. We discussed it, my manger said, 'No this is really fairly normal and it's not a bad things at all it's good for PR, it a good way of communicating with fans and we can control a lot of thing so forth to a degree.' So anyway I said to Lonna that we'd do it and we did. So having made that judgement, from then on I knew about fansites and therefore I knew what it could be like and Lonna was exceptionally good at running it.
What happened though that fansite was that I met a few fans in controlled situations; Lonna put together a few things partially when I was actually going to Dallas to do a play, and I met a lot of them at that time. Then various incidents happened and I learnt about how fansites brought people together. There was an exceptional story of a girl in one part of America, who lived as a recluse, literally as a recluse, and by pure chance, can you image the size of America, there was somebody in the fan club, who wasn't that far away from her. These two made friends with each other, and this girl came out of her shell. As it turns out she was quite a good little artist, she would send me things and I would send things back and say 'great,' 'terrific'and then she started to send stuff to the newsletter and all those things. So when I realised then that there was sort of a possibility that though a common denominator people would get together and might help each other and even have fun. There was a group who got tighter to go to the premier of Jaw 3, I seem to remember, 5 or 6 of them including I think somebody from England flew all the way to Dallas. So therefore it was a big life experience for somebody to suddenly leave, because of that common interest. I thought well actually it's a really terrific thing and a great honour to have, and to have people who not only like your work but actually respect you as a human being and to support you through it. Then I feel as though I can give something back, and they get something back by being in a club, any club will do that so in a way a fan club is no different than a golf club.

Question 004 - From Becky: How long do you plan staying in Casualty? Would you make another film?

Two questions, two answers. I don't yet know quite genuinely how long I'm going to stay in Casualty. I'm feeling that I'm getting close to the end, because I want to move on. That then answers the next question which is that obviously I have aspirations to do some more film wok and to do different things and already there are things being discussed for 2008 that are very good for my career and for my soul on both levels and I'm excited about the prospects.

Questions 005 - From Georgina R: You're an inspiration to me and my acting, so can you provide any tips?

Unfortunately in short order tips can sometimes sound a little trite but basically the first thing for anybody who wants to do this is that they've got to be absolutely dedicated and want to do it 100% you cannot play at it and that is more true now than it ever was. There are so may people out there who want to try and do it and with this new culture of celebrity-dom, there are so many people who are happy to be a celebrity for 5 minutes without thinking about the effects on life and on a life's career. So being totally dedicated is the number one. Then actually within in the work, the key r=thing with anything that one does is to try to tell the truth and if you can tell the truth and find the truth in anything that you do, you can actually do anything and that's what the audience responds to.

Question 006 - From Holly - What's your favourite food?

My favourite food? I love food so food with a capital F is fine by me, I really don't think there is anything I don't like. I love fish and I love fresh vegetables, fresh fruit and all that kind of thing. Obviously not processed food, not fast food although like everybody, every now and then I might be seen sneaking through the back door at MacDonald's if I'm feeling seriously peckish. I like a varity of food but I think if I had to e consigned to a particular diet it would be fish, vegetables and fruit.

Question 001 - From Kerri: Have you ever had any obsessive stalking fans that constantly harass you?

Have I ever had any obsessive stalking fans? No, not really. I've had a few people who've written a lot and who are a little strange. But no I haven't actually, I've not really been pestered and I've always managed to deal with them, and I give most people time and most of them in the end, they get bored.

Question 007 - From Leez - What it's like filming on Casualty, and whether do you enjoyed being in theatre?

Most of the fans know this, I love my work period. I find something very special about all aspects of it so it doesn't really matter whether is television, radio, film or theatre, writing, directing, acting, producing frankly. What I really enjoy about the work on Casualty is the instantaneousness of it and the challenge that I g in everyday knowing a framework within what I have to do but sometimes I go in there to have to perform some kind of operation or whatever it might be, which I have to learn right then and there both from an intellectual point of view and also from a physical point of view in terms of what I have to do with my hands and body and all the rest of it. The challenge of learning hat and being able to execute it in a short amount of time is enormously refreshing. The team work which we all work under is terrific fun.
Theatre is very different and the thing I love about theatre more than anything is the chance to keep playing with something and tying new things and being slightly different each day and so on, but also playing with an audience who are themselves different every day. It's essential for an actor to remind themselves what if feels like to actually ‘I'm trying to make you like or I haven't, either your not with it or I haven't quite done it right.' Very, very valuable for the work you then do on film and television because obviously you don't have that instant response.

Question 008 - From Linda - What attracts you in a woman?

What attracts me in a woman! My God! Why is Linda asking that question? (Chuckle)
There are so many things. Obviously I'm not adverse to just simply the beauty of the female form. But actually in the end it's about spirit, it's about bright spirited eyes, sense of humour and in the end one couldn't have a long term friendship with a women, as probably not even with a man to be honest, if they haven't got some intellectual stimulation that comes out of it, so you can really enjoy each others company and spar off each other. But I think, I like my women t be sexy and sexy isn't necessarily the overt things so many people think sexy is, you know short skirts, big boobs and all that is not necessarily sexy it's actually about a women being completely secure in her own skin. I think probably if I had to answer it in one simple answer, I love women who are absolutely strong and secure in their own skin, that I find incredibly attractive.

Question 009 - From Sall - What do you really think about having to meet fans?

I have no problem with meeting fans at all, there are obviously odd occasions when it's not as convenient as others. We do a job that relies on, if not fans, certainly the general public either tuning in or making the physical effort to get in a car and drive to a theatre or go to a cinema or whatever it might be. Anybody who is prepared to do that has my respect and if my work is something they particularly come to see or they like the things I'm in generally, it just happens that I am adding to the experience, then I am very happy to give them time because I think that's an important piece of what we do. It's a way of saying thank you to them for coming and the support is excellent. I also love, as I touched on a bit earlier, the fact that I can actually sometimes make a difference, I have met a few people and I know stories where fans have met somebody that they like and that has helped them to change aspects of their lives, or have some courage, we were just talking about you coming here today, all those things are very valuable and if by making ones self available and giving a bit of time you can help somebody else and I think that's very much part of the value of what we do.

Question 002 - From Kerri: What's the worst/scariest fan incident you've experienced?

Worst scariest fan incident? No, these are always difficult questions because you put them to one side most of the time, I can't remember one. No, I haven't really; I don't think I've ever had a bad incident with a fan. Obviously certainly not left any indelible thing. My wife had had quite a few, which I also don't really remember, I know she did have. I never have.
You get quite a few where fans can be a little over enthusiastic and actually be a little difficult to get rid of politely, particularly if you're rushing somewhere and I always stop and give people time. But by the same token, I rather hope that they will understand when one's got a life and moving on when sometimes rushing to do things, but I've actually been treated exceptionally well by the fans.

Question 010 - From Sall - What do you think about being a heart throb?

Well I don't take it very seriously obviously it's there, it's fun and actually it's very flattering and there are moments when it's great fun, I can't say that it bothers me terribly. I went to an art gallery the other day and suddenly I found myself surrounded by a whole bunch of rather attractive female art students, it was very pleasant, thank you very much. I'd much rather be a heart throb than an enemy of the people.

Report this post

Post subject: temp
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 14:37 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Patrick Kelly
These are great, love his answers. :)

Last edited by Debs on 02 Apr 2007, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 15:39 
Romancing Reardon
Romancing Reardon

Favourite 'Simon' Character: .
Ooooh I forgot about that question! Feeling very happy!! Cheers Shelli! :)

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 15:42 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Alec Chandler
Well done Shelli.

Thanks Simon.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 15:44 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon Doyle
YAYAYAYAYA

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE A TIELESS SIMON *FAINTS*

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 15:56 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon Doyle
My Question Is Mentioned Woooooooooooo

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE A TIELESS SIMON *FAINTS*

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 16:08 
Lucius' Lover
Lucius' Lover

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
Ok, I think I actually love the man he is such a gentleman and clearly has great respect for his fans.

Oh, and no problem about the banner Shelli :)

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 17:40 
Lucius' Lover
Lucius' Lover

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Fave Character
That was so cool,

Thanks Shelli,

xMandyx

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 19:43 
Kapturing Kapp
Kapturing Kapp

Shelli, I feel quite embarresed at the moment. :oops:

But as you'll have guesed he IS describing me, he finds me very attractive :lol:

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 20:35 
Kapturing Kapp
Kapturing Kapp

I've just heard the audio version, I'm even more embarresed than I already was :oops:

BUUUUUUT, he said my name, he said my name, he said my name..... :)

Am I childish or what? :lol:

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 01:45 

I've been lurking for awhile and just joined today.. thank you Shelli, for contacting me after you interviewed Simon. It's been fun reading the fans' comments. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have upgraded my Simon Fans site. (http://www.simonfans.com) . Congratulations on having such a well-run fan site on our man, Simon. I'm very happy you were able to arrange the interview and message for the fans.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 13:40 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Lonna wrote:
I've been lurking for awhile and just joined today.. thank you Shelli, for contacting me after you interviewed Simon. It's been fun reading the fans' comments. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have upgraded my Simon Fans site. Congratulations on having such a well-run fan site on our man, Simon. I'm very happy you were able to arrange the interview and message for the fans.

Well I just thought you should know about what was said, like I said he spoke highly of you and I thought it a shame that he said he hadn't spoken to you in while so I just passed on that message.

I'm also glad I inspired you you update your site, I'm liking the new pics I'm seeing on there! :)

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 10:17 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Iain Robertson as Craig Stevens
Woooop I can actually read the answers... :roll: Never saw this bit before and was rather disapointed that I couldn't find the answers.

Thanks

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentu ~~~ Amicus certus in incerta re cernitou

Report this post