It is currently 26 Feb 2017, 18:13

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum rules

Heading Format

Site name and date (if needed) where interview came from with a link to the interview. Don't copy and past the interview

Or

Magazine name and date with a typed/scanned copy of the interview. If you typed/scanned it yourself please state if it can be added to the gallery/articles

Unread postPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 15:14 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Thanks to Kirsty for the above banner

Again audio of this is available in the Member's Birthday Stuff Section

Question 033 - What do you think your appeal is?

I don't know? It's difficult, I've often said to actors particularly people poncing about a bit and said -if you think you're that good you're in trouble' and actually you cant see your own appeal because it's very much in the eye of the beholder. You don't play at it, it's not something you go -I'm thing I'm gonna be this or I'm gonna be that' you are just what you are. I think it's a combination of things I've been very lucky, physically I'm in reasonably good nick and a traditional English leading man type looks which obviously is one thing but I think in the end it goes back to the answer I gave to the - what you should do if you want to be an actor' that it's honesty. I think I play a kind of honour, I'm honest, when I work I'm honest and I think people respond to that.

Question 012 - I'm sure this goes both ways but, what does Susan think of all this attention you receive?

We don't really talk about it very much. Susan had so much attention when she was young that it's been a feature of our lives really that we can't go anywhere really without the possibility of somebody or more that somebody, a group of some bodies. Even if we go to the supermarket, we go to Marks and Spencer's, if we go out to dinner there's a chance that there is somebody who in some respect, please to see us there. So in a way it's been a part of our life, I said to her the other day I was coming to Wolverhampton, this is the first time really that in terms of the play that I've been in what I call the provinces, because everything else was sort of reasonably Londony sort of based. Actually when I was in Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes is such a strange place in terms of getting in and out of the theatre, Kerri would probably tell you, you drive in straight to the theatre, go into the theatre come out and if I want to have a meal or something it was literally right next door, so I never really got in amongst the people. Here in Wolverhampton is the first time, I mean I can't go out on the streets here, kids just fall off their bicycles and come rushing over to shake your hand, which is lovely and I was just saying that to Susie yesterday and she was very supportive of it. She knows it's nice to have that recognition, and it's very nice to have people, a vast range from literally kids this high right the way through to senior citizens who all come and say particularly, that they really like Harry so you've got a character that seems to be crossing the age divide enormously and the sex divide. I'm very surprised to find teenage girls who I would have thought aren't even watching the programme, so it's a very interesting range Harry covers and that's very nice. It's very nice to get in touch with it because it means, I think actually in the end it informs my work, I think I know subconsciously how to play certain things knowing that audience are responding.

Question 011 - What would you like to do and still have the opportunity to do or you can do now you've reached a certain age?

The answer to that question that basically I always thought that my career would be at it's best at the end of my career. Whether that was just me thinking -Well things are going ok and it's always going to get better, so that fine.' But actually I've genuinely felt it I think because I've always been a base baritone in terms of my voice and the traditional leading man is really more of a tenor just slightly higher ranged voice, so when you're young and you've got a heavy voice the package doesn't quite fit. So I always felt that my career would be as a leading man between 45 and 65 and if that all worked well then ones got a really nice latter day career, when you can do all sorts of nice bits and pieces and doing some character work and all the rest of it. So in a way I feel my career is absolutely on track for that, therefore plans are very much to capitalise on that I'm still fit and not desperately looking my age and so I think I can take advantage of that for a little bit longer and still be a leading man in certain things. That means television, it probably means theatre and supporting leading man in some films is still very possible. So that is what I'd like to achieve and that's what we are aiming to achieve, hence the reason there is some question about whether I stay in Casualty because although I'm doing that in Casualty I don't now need to, I really need to see whether I can actually do more.

Question 013 - Who do you admire?

It's a relatively common question, not one I've been asked in a little while about who are the people you admire, is there anybody to model yourself on and all those kind of things. The answer is that I don't model myself on anybody but I have a tremendous admiration for an enormous number of people because this is a tough world were in, and it's a tough world for everybody, doesn't matter what job you do. I have great admiration for anybody who goes out and puts themselves amongst it and gets on and does a job, and does a job well. I enjoy even watching some of the kids who get up and do X-Factor and stuff, they're having a go, they're putting there guts and talent on the line to try to achieve something. I adore great sports personalities who are putting sometimes their bodies on the line one knows they're also putting a great deal of dedication into getting fit, strong and ready, and denying themselves so much to achieve things. Anybody who is an achiever I have great respect for, I think that was also my credo, I never believed I was particularly gifted and so I knew if I worked hard and therefore I really respect anybody who works and achieves. Anybody whatever field it's in and in acting of course I look up to the obvious people that have gone through my life in one way or another. Obviously I look up at Olivier, and Anthony Hopkins, even Brando and people in the past and then obviously even now some superb actors out of Hollywood and in the theatre in the United Kingdom. What Helen Mirren is doing and Judi Dench, unbelievable work from these people. But my life is not exclusive to acting, ballet dancers and opera singers just about anybody with a gift they use, even actually people who don't have much of a gift but who use what they have and really go after it. You can only ever do your best and I admire people who have a go doing their best.

Question 014 - What would you like to achieve in the next 5-10 years

That's a really tough one because, actually obviously it would be really silly not to say things like -Well I want to do a big feature, I want to win and Academy award' because those are the accolades those are the pinnacles. But actually I just want to do good work. I want to more work, I want to do good work, I want to improve and I want to give myself the opportunities to have the latter day career I feel I was always going to have and in a way which I'm having. Harry is in the central role, in a way, of a television series that's been the Saturday night flagship of the BBC for the last 20 Years. Going out on a tour like this, carrying the headline, is a very good position to be in, they're talking about me doing another one next year, different kind of piece and that's very exciting. I want to go on doing that, I want to challenge myself more perhaps than what I have been doing, and have the opportunity to do something exceptional. I don't necessarily know what that is nut what I want to do is work in film, theatre and television, world wide and continue to do it until I turn up my toes.

Question 017 - What's the strangest question you've ever been asked or what's the strangest thing you've been sent by a fan?

I don't know why but my life with fan's had been actually pretty OK. I once let it be known to Lonna Poland that I collected elephant figurines, which I have actually now stopped doing. I did get and awful lot of them in various guises from big plastic ones to very nice silver ones and everything in between. So I find myself with a rather large number of these little plasticy jobbies with bit's and pieces attached to them with funny messages. Lots of elephant key rings and things like that. Generally fans are incredibly respectful, I've had so few things, certainly nothing so weird that it's making me think about it.

Question 018 - What question have you been asked the most?

What question have I been asked the most? Well I suppose the question that gets asked the most is what's your favourite job you've done, would be pretty much up there, the question you asked me a few minutes ago who is the person you either model yourself on or idolise the most. Is there another one? I think the heart throb one gets asked a lot, I don't know if I'm being vague? No I think those are probably the three that are closest to the top of the list.

Question 028 - Biggest/greatest achievement

I really don't know? Still being here I think, I mean not being found out, still working at 55 I think that's an achievement.

Question 015 - What charities do you support?

I support a lot of charities but we ourselves, there are an enormous number of charities out there. We do some work for a leukaemia charity, we do some work for a lot of the animal charities in fact we spread ourselves a little thin across a lot of animal charities, particularly horses and rescue horses. I do some work for the local hospice, down in the Somerset region, St Margaret's Hospice. I haven't actually at this time chose one to dedicatee myself to, partly because I'm afraid that since we've move to the west country with the horses and with Casualty time is so much in short supply, that I haven't really got the time at the moment to give to a particular charity to do a particular good job. So what I generally do I spread myself a little thin across a number of things when asked. As I said we do quite a lot for animal charities generally and that sort of thing, it is something very much in my mind to choose a charity that I think I will then dedicate specifically to. At the moment I'm currently doing a lot for a lot.

Question 029 - Do you prefer playing 'Bad guys,' 'Good Guys' or guys a bit like Harry who can be a bit mixed at times?

Harry's a great character, he is indeed a bit mixed. Bad guys are interesting because there are no rules very often, I actually like the complex characters, the complete characters, the characters like Harry and a little bit like Peter Sinclair, had a bit of a dark side too. But Harry has been a very, very good character, he is not straight forward. Bad guys are a little bit one dimensional as indeed very good guys are so I think the complete characters are more interesting, so somebody like Michael Starkwedder are more interesting than some others because he's got a lot going on in his brain. I think a fundamentally, a flawed good guys is probably the most interesting sort of mandate.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 22:05 
Kapturing Kapp
Kapturing Kapp

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Fave Character
I loved reading it Shelli. I'm a bit sad because I've got the feeling that he reaaly will leave Casualy after the end of the year. Offcourse we'll see him untill March, but he will be missed :cry:

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 22:09 

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon
hehe its funny cos he said my name :)

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 23:13 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon Doyle
It Is *Smiels* have a Poke Form me *Poke*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE A TIELESS SIMON *FAINTS*

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 10:22 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Iain Robertson as Craig Stevens
These are great thanks Shelliwood.

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentu ~~~ Amicus certus in incerta re cernitou

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2007, 18:49 
Lucius' Lover
Lucius' Lover

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Fave Character
Cheers Shelliwood,

Simon always seems to give well thought out answers,

xMandyx

Report this post