It is currently 24 Jan 2017, 12:17

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Theater
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 10:48 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Iain Robertson as Craig Stevens
Is anyone else addicted to going to the theater?

I had never been before I went to see Simon's play and I'm pleased I did because I love it!

I went again last night and was thrilled I'd even go as far to say it was better than Simon's play.

The acting was so alive and not at all wooden, they all faced the audience and encouraged the audience to participate, at one point the main lead joined us in the audience to sing with us.

In comparison I can now see how more senior actors 'dull' their performances down and don't give off the energy of acting as younger newer performers do.

This could be because of the different types of character but I even noticed it in Simon's play, where as the actors who had been acting for longer were more sedate on stage...Simon and two other cast were the only people who didn't run at one point they just walked as while the 'newer' performers ran. Again in the show last night it was the newer performers who showed more engery on the stage than the more experienced ones.

Anyway back to my original question would anyone go regularly to the theater?

Would you go if it didn't have someone famous in it?

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentu ~~~ Amicus certus in incerta re cernitou

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:08 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Ok it's not quite theater, but in Reading we have the ruins of the old Abbey, and every summer for the past 7, I think, years they put on Shakespear on, outdoors. You take a picnic blanket sit on the ground and watch. They're doing a Mid Summer's Night Dream this year, and I think it would be really good if I go, it's a fantastic setting to do it in. No-one famous in it, I think it's amature theatre aswell, I just really want to see a Shakespear play live at some point in my life.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:21 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Patrick Kelly
Yeah, theatres are addictive, I only saw musical type shows before I saw Simon's play, his is the first play I've ever seen and I will definately want to watch other plays as well as musicals now.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:25 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Alec Chandler
Morning Sall.

Nice to hear you had enjoyed last night and had a good time.

I have been to the theatre quite a few times before to see various things, although I had never seen a play before I went to see The Unexpected Guest. I find that if there is something on that you really want to see it doesn’t matter who is in it, I also think people are prepared to travel further to see something if someone famous is starring in it. I went to see Les Miserables years ago because I really wanted to see it, I didn’t know who was in the cast, but I don’t remember there being any famous names there and I had a fantastic time.

With regards to you mentioning about younger actors being more alive and having more energy, I don’t agree with that, not from what I have seen anyway, it really depends on the part that is being played and the type of show more than anything, but it also depends on an actors’ ability too.

I would go to the theatre again, I wouldn’t necessarily go regularly, but if there were something I wanted to see being shown then, yes, I would go with or without a famous person being in it.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:35 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

It just seemed to me that they really engaged me last night whereas Simon's play didn't. There was something about the actors that really made the audience feel part of it. Last time the whole thing seemed cold and distant {although that could have been due to other problems on the night}.

The voices were bound to be clearly because they were women and have naturally higher pitch on their voices so okay that improved this immediately in my experience.

I did enjoy it more than I ever thought I would I also discovered a confidence I never thought I had! At one point I as actually stood clapping and singing with Shana {she joined the audience to pull us from our seats to sing and dance with her}.

There were famous people in this last night, notable Shobna Gulati and Shana Swash but I would have seen it anyway.

Shelli your Shakespear seems interesting and well worth you going. I keep saying every year I'm going to go to Powderham Castle but I always leave it too late to get tickets for the decent concerts, I missed out on both Robbie Williams and Westlife last year :roll: again like yours it's a sit outside thing which is great until it rains :lol:

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentu ~~~ Amicus certus in incerta re cernitou

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:44 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Sall wrote:
Shelli your Shakespear seems interesting and well worth you going.

I was just about to say I've got no-one to see it with but, I went and saw Simon in Wolves on my own, quite an experince, there was no-one sat to the left and right of me either so it was very noticable!

So I might get of my butt and go see, been wanting to do it for a few years but they've never done one I know!

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:45 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Sall wrote:
It just seemed to me that they really engaged me last night whereas Simon's play didn't. There was something about the actors that really made the audience feel part of it. Last time the whole thing seemed cold and distant {although that could have been due to other problems on the night}.

That was the nature of the play though, it was cold, believe me sitting front row was like sitting in a freezer. I mentioned it to the woman I sat next to the second time i went, she said that was typical of a Christie play.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:47 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Ahh I haven't managed the feat of going alone yet :roll: Don't think I will either on the grounds that its more fun with a mate!

Do let us know how it goes it sounds fun.

I'm not keen on shakespear I never understood it at school and was always sat at the back and the teacher never bothered with me as I was considered to be in the lower academic part of the group so wouldn't do Literature at GCSE level anyway.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:50 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

nikkibear wrote:
Sall wrote:

That was the nature of the play though, it was cold, believe me sitting front row was like sitting in a freezer. I mentioned it to the woman I sat next to the second time i went, she said that was typical of a Christie play.

When I said cold I didn't mean temperature wise I meant as in there was no engagement with the audience, it was literally as if you weren't there they barely recognised that there was an audience but having said that I did manage to do an awful lot of lip reading last night which I couldn't do in the first play and they kept facing away from the audience which meant I missed those lines and didn't know what was happening.

To maintain interest in something you have to be able to at least emphasize with the characters but you couldn't, there was no feeling attached to it, it seemed as though they were simply getting it over with.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:52 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Sall wrote:
Ahh I haven't managed the feat of going alone yet :roll: Don't think I will either on the grounds that its more fun with a mate!

Didn't have much choice in the matter tho, no-one could come as it was such short notice. I didn't have to see the play again, could have stayed in the hotel and wathed TV(very boring!) so I decide to see the play, was nervous about going on my own, but it was good, not fun, but good.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 11:54 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

I have enough difficulty going to tescos alone never mind to the theater it would never happen just don't have the confidence for that.

Would you go alone again?

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 12:00 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Sall wrote:
nikkibear wrote:
Sall wrote:

When I said cold I didn't mean temperature wise I meant as in there was no engagement with the audience, it was literally as if you weren't there they barely recognised that there was an audience but having said that I did manage to do an awful lot of lip reading last night which I couldn't do in the first play and they kept facing away from the audience which meant I missed those lines and didn't know what was happening.

To maintain interest in something you have to be able to at least emphasize with the characters but you couldn't, there was no feeling attached to it, it seemed as though they were simply getting it over with.

I know what you meant. There wouldn't be any engagement with the audience as that isn't how it works with that format. It wasn’t written for audience participation.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 12:01 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Well I'm just dumb then because without facing the audience it really does restrict the audience in enjoying the production and if thats the format for plays no matter who is in it I won't be going again as it is purely a waste of money.

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 12:02 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Sall wrote:
Would you go alone again?

I'd like to, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and the whole expericnce was a confidence boost for me, which is what I needed, and I'm a bit better for it now

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 12:06 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

I know what you mean about it being good for confidence but I would have died last night had I not had a mate with me. {mainly cos I broke down again}

I really do have a problem with people and hate anything that involves being around more than two or three people.

Report this post