It is currently 18 Jan 2017, 06:50

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum rules

Heading Format

Site name and date (if needed) where interview came from with a link to the interview. Don't copy and past the interview

Or

Magazine name and date with a typed/scanned copy of the interview. If you typed/scanned it yourself please state if it can be added to the gallery/articles

Unread postPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 14:10 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Thanks to Kirsty for the above banner

Wow these weeks are going by quickly the month and all this will soon be at an end, but there's still one more week after this.

Again audio of this is available in the Member's Birthday Stuff Section

Only till the end of the month to enter the prize draw, so far only enough people to give away one set of photos at present so if enter if you want a chance of getting a set.

Question 020 - How would you like to see Harry leave?

I haven't thought about it, because it hasn't actually reached the point when I really thought it was time for Harry to go. It is now reaching my consciousness and therefore the conversation might well be had in the near future, but the BBC and the show owns the character, they can decide what to do irrespective of my point of view because they may have things they want to do for the show for what ever reason. I think I would like to go out in some kind of blaze of glory not in a box, and not to be killed off and not to go off in a box. I don't really fancy that and then there's always the possibility there might be some good reason why he pops back for some reason but in the end it'll be there decision and we'll see.

Question 022 - Would you have voted for Harry?

Would I have voted for Harry? Absolutely, 100%, he didn't want to be a politician, he wanted just to make a point. He's a fine upstanding citizen he has a point of view and he'll fight for it and do a good job as a politician.

Question 023 - Do you know the effect the scrubs have on the fans?

Scrubs? In terms of wearing scrubs? Do you know I've never thought about it but having said that I like wearing the scrubs. As an actor I've spent a lot of time doing two things. Either being smart and sophisticated or a bit rough and grubby and action man-y or whatever. The action man thing has always worked for me and I think it's always worked for the fans too. I think they actually quite like the characters I play and probably therefore me, being more down and dirty and getting on with it. The sophisticated bit works for them but at the same time I think they like it when he gets a bit roughened up so the thing I like about the scrubs is it's an action activity, it means here it is getting down and dirty, this is what we do, we get it to it and I've been trying to get in to the scrubs and out of the suit over that last and it's probably been noticeable. I've been trying to do that partly because it accurately reflects what's going on in the National Health Service and that the suit thing has done its job for me. I came into Casualty and said Harry is going to wear really sharp suits, shirt and ties, he's always going to be that he's going to be a disciplined uniformed man. I actually envisaged that he actually did a spell probably in the Navy or something like that, so he understands the fact 'the guy with the most gold on his shoulder, he's the one I want to talk to because he's the guy who can get something done.' So Harry walks through that department wearing the suit knowing that everybody goes 'Ok, he's the guy I got to talk to' and by presenting himself in that way he's up to be shot down or take the flak or be responsible, but having done that I wanted then to start to get him beck down on the ground floor again. So whenever I can I get him in to scrubs, which has been more frequently in the last little while. I think that's a conscious choice on my part. It's also a bit of a choice on the part of the show now because there were certain producers who liked the suit thing and there were others who were beginning to feel we weren't quite reflecting the National Health Service in quite the right way.

Question 024 - You've been doing Casualty longer than anything else, yet you seem the sort of person to get bored easily. What makes Casualty different from the rest, or is there another reason in being there so long compared to everything else?

The truth of the matter is you don't get many jobs in this business were you can stay for a very long time. I obviously could have stayed in Falcon Crest longer but really didn't want to, didn't feel that was going to move me any further forward and so forth. Counterstrike we did three years would have gone on and I would have gone on with it for I think I was obliged to go on for 5 years, if it had gone on for five years, but for various as much political as technical reason they actually stopped at the end of three. So I might easily have done five years on that. I would have loved to do that, Peter Sinclair I loved as a character and I loved the show and everything about it so it's only by chance that Casualty has been as long as this, it's not been that I have not been able to sustain that. To say I get bored easy, I don't think is fair, I love challenge and I love change and as long as something is stimulating me then I would never get bored. I've always got the other things in my life that I'm doing anyway that actually help me sustain a kind of energy and that's part of what it is, like having the horses, I go home, I do that so I'm not just in Casualty. But actually a lot about Casualty is the fact that it's really demanding on a day to day basis and the medical thing is very, very demanding. I made it a challenge to be as good and believe able as is possible, I've succeeded, so many people ask me on the street sis I ever have medical training or was I a doctor before I became an actor, which is a really nice compliment. So I like the challenge and I like the fact that the BBC also like the challenge they have not at any point said 'Right Casualty's great we don't have to worry about Casualty it will be fine week in week out' they're trying all the time to re-invent the wheel, make it more interesting finding ways of just changing it and updating it, while they've got the will to do it, it's very easy for the actors, the team to have the same reaction.

Question 021 - Harry and Beth/Selena/Lara/Ellen/Anna/(Maggie)etc?

Harry Lara
(I then mentioned I thought Harry and Maggie would be good)
Harry and Maggie would be very good, she's a feisty character and would sort him out and I think that's why I like the Lara relationship because she was feisty, strong, feisty and put him on his toes. I've always thought that actually since Lara went the relationship that really Harry is looking for hasn't happened, he hasn't found the girl that really challenges him. I think the relationship with Selena would have been a very lovely relationship and they would have got on terrific and she would have be a great mother to his kids and all of those kind of tings but I don't think it would have be a particularly sparky relationship. Ellen was about a young girl being kind actually to him at a time when nobody else, not necessarily was, but there wasn't anybody in his life. She actually just was a good looking girl who was nice to him and nice to the kids and it wasn't entirely appropriate and it was a shame that it had to stop but it was the right thing that it should stop and they remind friends and became actually closer through not having a relationship which was actually I think the really nice arc about that story. Selena has been a good friend and they've missed but in actual fact I've often said the relationship that still hangs in Harry's heart is the Lara relationship.

Question 036 - Best memory you'll take with you when you leave Casualty?

I think working with and being able to influence in someway the work space with a team that's so non-egotistical and working as such a unit, is probably overall the thing I shall remember. That we all work together, we share and try to make each and everyone of us better. We support the day players when they come in because they've got to be good otherwise we're not good, we support all the supporting artists and have a great relationship with them and I think just the overall feeling of camaraderie and working together as a unit, being able to influence how that unit works with my own energy and enthusiasm, I think that's the exciting part and that's the bit I'll miss.

Question 037 - Do you think Harry should just hit Nathan and get it over with, even though he's better than that?

I don't think he's gonna hit him I think he's going to kill him. I thin this maybe the end of Harry. Harry may end up killing him. If he does kill him it will be very slow and very painful and I have told Mr Price who plays Nathan that this is how it's going to be, but if he doesn't kill him he sure as hell's gonna hit him very hard. (I said I'd pay to see that!)
(Why do you think he's like that?)
Jealous, completely jealous and he's inept, he's a useless individual he has no place in society, Harry is everything Nathan can never be and he's immensely jealous. Possibly actually he's the voice of his conscience, everything that Harry could be is the opposite of Nathan and he hates him for it.

Question 025 - Do you think the NightMan episode could have been improved?

Thinking about it I don't quite know because of the nature of the beast. For me it was a lovely challenge to do it again because I wanted to see how the morphing effect would be that much more efficient than what we did first time round. So for me that was the value of doing it. Clearly it could have bee a better episode if it had been an episode of Manimal and not of NightMan but because the two shows had to join together. They actually did a pretty damn good job joining two shows together and giving enough time so the Manimal bit was actually not just a little add on, it was quite a significant part of the program and if anything it was a bit more Manimal than Nightman as an episode which was about as good as it could have got under the circumstances, because after all it was his show not mine. So it probably could have been better but I think under the circumstances I'm not sure quite how, I think we really achieved what we set out to.

Question 026 - If Manimal did return what would you like to see happen?

I would actually like to see it come back and I would like to do something about it, it's one of the things in my brain for 2008.
I've said it before but of course I haven't had the chance to do anything about because to do it I've got to go to America to meet a few people and also have the time to do it. If I did, I would take a little bit of the NightMan idea and that it would be something like Son of or Daughter of Manimal kinda idea that he actually was imparting it, he was therefore more of the sort of Anthony Hopkins role to Antonio Banderas in Son of Zorro, that kind of thing, that kind of relationship. And make it much more ecological based and not criminally based those would be the main thins I'd do.

Question 027 - What's the most memorable line you've ever delivered?

The most memorable line I've ever delivered? The ones that end up being memorable are the ones you look at on the page and say 'who on earth wrote this and how am I going to do this and get away with it?' I think there were two in Casualty that really always caused people to really laugh and actually at the same time pat me on the back and say 'you're the only bugger who could have got away with that.' One of them was when I said to Simon Kaminski 'I may not be God but I am master of your destiny' that was one of them, and the other one was in the big show we did when the buildings collapsed and we knew we had this majax(sp?) going on and I'm sitting on a bed waiting to get up, as the first people come in I say 'and now it all begins' was a little bit cheesy but we got away with it. I think the master of your destiny line was the one that got the biggest roar in the screenings.

Attachments:
File comment: One piece of audio for guests - Would you have voted for Harry?
022-fin.mp3 [252.9 KiB]
Downloaded 22 times

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 20:41 
Kapturing Kapp
Kapturing Kapp

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Fave Character
Shelli, I loved reading it. I'm so happy now. I love you for asking him about Harry and Maggie, you're a star!!!. He thinks they would be very good together :) , so do we Simon, so do we.
I don't think Selena and Harry are going to get together, do you?

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 20:43 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Linda wrote:
I don't think Selena and Harry are going to get together, do you?

Hope not :roll:

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2007, 11:54 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Patrick Kelly
Wow he seems quite keen in Manimal coming back, he has clearly thought about it and his ideas sound interesting.

His thoughts on killing Nathan made me laugh so much, can you imagine it? Harry on a murder charge, think he had better stick to hitting him, he will have a less severe punishment.

Thanks for all these interviews Shelli, it's been great reading them. (Also, thanks to Simon of course).

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2007, 19:09 
Lucius' Lover
Lucius' Lover

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Fave Character
Thank you Shelliwood,

I love what Harry would do to Nathan and I would so pay lots of money to watch that!!!

I love it if Manimal returned :)

Mandy

Report this post

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: 17 Apr 2007, 06:41 
De Viega's Deity
De Viega's Deity

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
I have never seen an episode of Manimal, so I hope he gets back doing that show. Gives me a chance to get to know this.
I also loved it when Simon said that Harry would probably kill Nathan. It means that the hate from Harry towards Nathan is very deep.
Of course it will also mean that Harry ends up in jail. Selena, being pregnant of him, has to go and visit him there...

Report this post