It is currently 25 Feb 2017, 10:19

All times are UTC+01:00

Unread postPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 22:33 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
What's your opinion on the plus & minus points of modern technology? I don't term myself as old by any means but I've just spent approximately 45 minutes onto PC World's helpline to eliminate a security risk issue which I couldn't get my head round.

I left school in 1990 when computers were really only in their infancy popularity wise so I'm feeling kinda dim when it comes to solving probable 'idiot proof' problems. I don't own an ipod or one of those blue tooth phones - excuse my stupidity friends.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 22:43 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
I love technololgy tho I've only got an MP3 player in the last 9 months they're great my new one can get the radio as well!

We've had a computer since the late 80's (an old amstrad - green screen jobbie) and then a pc in the early 90's. We've been internet enabled since 95! I would be lost with out my phone - I do have bluetooth but never use it, I do use other features of it - like checking email when I'm away from my pc (and home). So I can generally work my way around new things quite well

I think techology has come along way in the past 10 years and is currently in a bit of a slow state (pc's being upgraded less often, before it had to be a yearly - 2 years max thing) tho I think it's gonna speed up again soon.

Best way to learn how to do something with new technology - give it to a teenager and get them to show you - seriously

Clare - when you make something idiot proof they make a better idiot. Not saying your an idiot, just that there will always be someone who doesn't know something, someone always needs to be taught something - they say we learn something new every day and it is so true

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 16 Sep 2007, 23:11 
Top Poster
Top Poster

My problem still exists, I done what the guy of the phone told me to do and the subsequent Norton scan is still showing a problem.

F**K!

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 18:53 

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon
Dunno what I'd do without technology! I can't rememeber not having it

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 19:06 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Kerri, technology is fantastic as long as you don't hit problems - I wish I was 10 years younger and I would've had much more school/educational knowledge and experience of it.

My sister gave me her ipod when she bought a new one and I still haven't looked at it, haven't had the need so far. Only last week, my pal was winding me up about my phone because it doesn't have blue tooth - what did we ever do without mobile phones? I could live without mine no problem.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 07:45 
De Viega's Deity
De Viega's Deity

I'm also from the generation that was brought up without too much technology.
I even still learned to type on an old typewriter in school.
I have a computer since last year at home. Before that I didn't want one because I had to work all day with it at my work.
I don't have an iPod or any of those things. I have no need for it.
Since a few months now, me and my husband both have a mobile phone.
Before that we had no need for it. I had one for longer but my husband did not.
My older brother used to have a computer when we were younger, a Commodore 68 I believe it was. Who can remember that old thing? It was still with floppy disks.
And we used to have a walk man with cassettes.
If we wanted to know if our friends were at home, we had to call them with the regular phone or drive to them with our bike and just find out.
In my days, we spent a lot of time outside playing with friends on the street.
I actually miss those old days. I don't need television with 100's of channels on it.
No, technology is not really my thing. I believe there is a generation and technology gap between me and those who are born a few years later.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 18:25 
Top Poster
Top Poster

I certainly wouldn't spend too much £s regularly updating certain technologies because many of the items I neither need or want. I'm perfectly happy with my pc & Sky+ which suits my requirements - anything else isn't an essential.

I've given up (for the moment) trying to rectify my pc problem, a colleague at work and a PC World guy said it isn't a major problem so that's kinda eased my concerns.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 18:36 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
CLARE wrote:
I certainly wouldn't spend too much £s regularly updating certain technologies because many of the items I neither need or want. I'm perfectly happy with my pc & Sky+ which suits my requirements - anything else isn't an essential.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it' yeah I like technology but I'm not gonna but a £100+ phone every 6-12 months, my phone is almost 2 years old and I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon, it does it's job and I don't need it to do anything else.

I do wish I had Sky+, that's down stairs I've got the second standard box :cry: not really fair as I actually paid for the Sky+ one but never use it, gonna try and see if our second box can be a + one too, then I'll be happy and won't have to rely on dodgy, low quality tape!

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 21:01 
Top Poster
Top Poster

I've been without my Sky+ since last Wednesday (19/10) because of signal problems and having to make do with 'council tele' has been absolute murder, thank God the engineer is coming out to fix the problem tomorrow. You don't appreciate how good having the option of satellite tv is until it isn't available to you.

Report this post