It is currently 18 Jan 2017, 06:50

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Election
Unread postPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 08:57 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Iain Robertson as Craig Stevens
Interesting point about contacting them direct, and I think its rather obvious I know the conference season has ended hence why I posted this in the first place.

Also not everyone has tv and radio on for those channels as it was pointed out to me, some people don't have news channels on etc as young children pick up on things unsuitable for them and those parents who then work nights as they aren't all lucky enough to be able to not work etc aren't around when children are in bed to watch those things!

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentu ~~~ Amicus certus in incerta re cernitou

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 17:37 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
You don't need to be aware about the party conferences, the "will he or won't he" question has been debated by the newspapers and BBC/ITV news bulletins to suggest to voters about a potential election, that could've been your reason for starting the thread Sall.

There is always press & media avenues available for people to find out about party policies.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 18:18 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

regarding press/media though doesn't that involve the expense of buying things such as newspapers?

It's easy to say it and I was always convinced that you just make an effort and get on with it but having had an alternative point raised I can now understand why it is difficult for some people to vote when they don't understand what is going on and are choosing between children's shoes and buying newspapers to understand a campaign.

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentu ~~~ Amicus certus in incerta re cernitou

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 20:22 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Goodness sake Sall, a daily newspaper costs what? Approx. 35p maximum plus, if you travel by bus, the Metro costs nothing so I don't believe that's an argument. If people really want to make a contribution to society at election time, they will gather the necessary information to make a qualified decision and if they don't make the necessary effort, they can't be that interested.

A higher than average percentage of the population don't understand everything that each political party is trying to tell you but those who make the effort to vote, wouldn't even dream of using that as an excuse. Any parent/guardian wouldn't deny their child a pair of shoes and then tell the child - "by the way, party political policies are far more important."

You don't need to spend a small fortune on press & media outlets, there are 5 regular tv channels who, at election time, are more than happy to go O.T.T on political issues and the politicans are more than happy to contribute to win your vote.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 21:09 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

im thrilled that your so empassioned by this you have a througher thought through argument to put across *nods* However whats the bus got to do with anything?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 10 Oct 2007, 09:37 
Chase's Cherished
Chase's Cherished

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Alec Chandler
I don't think it takes much to understand really, they're either going to lower or raise things, with the latter being done most.

The sun is only 20p at the moment, in some places it costs you more than that to use a public toilet.

There is a more simpler answer to all this, if you don't understand just ask someone after all I'm sure all our parents, aunts and uncles, etc have been voting for years. You can't tell me they have been voting blind for the past 20+ (however many it is) years, nobody is that stupid!?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 20:22 
Top Poster
Top Poster

There's now less than a month 'til the UK general election and then we'll see what party of lying toads will be running our country, I've no idea who I'll be voting for. None of them are deserving of that privilege because politicians in general, in MY opinion, haven't earned the honour of representing or respect of the British people.

David Cameron or Gordon Brown - would you buy a used car off either of them?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 11 Apr 2010, 04:04 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Andrew Wyke or Simon Doyle or ...
Quote:
Is anyone on here worried of making the wrong choice and therefore doesn't vote?
But not voting is the BIGGEST wrong choice. Dictators rarely have a majority. They're just able to convince ordinary people to remain silent. Voting (and the subsequent loss of office) is the only control you have on your government directly. Use it!

Likewise, if you've got an opinion on an important issue, let your representatives know what it is. They can do sums. Votes add up.

As for checking on the issues and the party's platforms, there are newspapers, magazines, public libraries, online news, party websites, radio, television, discussion with friends, and all sorts of public venues like political rallies. But one may need to actually LOOK for the answers. Do some research.

PS. All seriousness aside, don't you think if the UK and US switched politicians it would make for more entertaining elections? (I've got a whole slew of American politicians I'm panting to give away!)

:perfect:

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 21:50 

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon
If I had it my way, the Lib Dems would be in power, however they just don't have the support to do so, so it would be a wasted vote, this time round. However it is not a wasted vote to vote Labour as a protest vote against Cameron!!

I swear if Cameron gets in, I will leave the country.

The Election campaign broadcasts however are slightly pathetic in that all they are stating is "The Conservatives wanted to do this..."
"The Conservatives wont do this"..... " Cameron said..."

and Vice versa for Conservative broadcasts.

I don't care what you think the opposition party did/didn't do, I want to know how YOU are going to improve the country.

I am voting labour, they have done a good job, if we were going to hit a bump in the economy, then Brown was the man to be in power at the time to sort things out.
Things can only go up, we are out of the supposed 'slump', there is no need for changed.
Labours always looked after the working man.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 03 May 2010, 16:38 
Top Poster
Top Poster

The idea of David Cameron as PM is a scary thought for the working man/woman, I'm sure he's some kinda clone of Thatcher :evil:

If only Simon was a candidate, I know where my X would be on the ballot box - Corky FOR PM

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2010, 17:24 

CLARE wrote:
The idea of David Cameron as PM is a scary thought for the working man/woman, I'm sure he's some kinda clone of Thatcher :evil:

If only Simon was a candidate, I know where my X would be on the ballot box - Corky FOR PM

It certainly is.
I know the polls all indicate he will win. But I'm not so sure that they are right- the polls were wrong last time.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 07 May 2010, 07:35 
Top Poster
Top Poster

There really is more people in the UK of questionable sanity than I really thought with Cameron attaining more votes/seats in the 2010 general election, the single saving grace being that it's not enough for full government control. One positive from a hung parliament is that the elected kids, sorry politicians, will have their heads knocked together hence having to behave like mature adults and engage in responsible discussion on how to take this country forward.

Time to fasten up, shut your eyes and enjoy the political ride over the next few weeks.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 07 May 2010, 15:45 

Bad result!!

If Cameron declares a minority government, I am sure there will be a riot!
Clegg should not form coalition with them, nor should he lend support to him to form the minority.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 10 May 2010, 21:32 
Top Poster
Top Poster

I'm not particularly surprised to see Gordon Brown submit his intentions to quit as leader of the Labour party, if you're the figurehead of any political party or organisation which doesn't achieve the necessary results, it's one of the pitfalls unfortunately. Such a pity the chairperson and board of directors of the banks don't hold the same professional morals but greed is a nasty human frailty.

I'm still :worried: should David Cameron become British prime minister - could be a case of last person out the country, lock the gates behind you please! The Conservatives were almost wiped out in Scotland, they gained only the one seat, the legacy of Thatcher & subsequent Tory rule remains in the forefront of our minds.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 12 May 2010, 08:48 
Translator - French
Translator - French

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon Doyle
really sorry Clare, things seem to be in favor of Cameron .... :shock:

Report this post