It is currently 18 Jan 2017, 06:59

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: The meaning of words
Unread postPosted: 16 May 2008, 18:35 
De Viega's Deity
De Viega's Deity

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
I have been thinking about a new topic and I thought 'Why not start with a fun section about the meaning of words'.
My intention is that you think yourself about the meaning of a word, where the word comes from etc... The funnier, the better.
For example:

Serious: this is a word that comes from "See - Me - Us". It was used by the American soldiers when they went to battle in the 18th century. Before they started shooting, they shouted to each other 'See-Me-Us'. This way they tried to avoid that they started to kill one another from the same group. The soldiers had to take a good look to each other before they went to battle. Just a case of recognition. One day there was a corporal who could not say 'See-Me-Us'. Instead he said 'See-Re-Us'. After a while everybody was saying 'See-re-us'.
So it became 'serious'. You should pay attention to the person who you are saying 'serious' to. He/She always takes a good look at you.

Post subject: Re: The meaning of words
Unread postPosted: 21 May 2008, 10:09 
De Viega's Deity
De Viega's Deity

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
Another word I've been thinking about and needs some explanation

DOG: In the early days when the Neanderthals started to domesticate the wolfs and they started to speak their first words, they had no name yet for the new type of wolf. They knew these animals could be very nice and loyal but at the same hand, they could be very dangerous. When one of the Neanderthals saw that one of the animals wanted to launch an attack, he warned the others by saying 'Dangerous Object Going'. Everybody of the group knew that they had to watch out. for thousands of years it remained 'Dangerous Object Going' until an early Einstein (we are still speaking at a time before Jesus was born) said that it would be much easier and faster if you just say 'DOG'.
From that day on, the word dog was born.
You should try and shout 'DOG' to a bystander; look for his reaction. He gets himself ready either to run or to fight.
That is still our imprinted instinct from our days as a Neanderthal. :lol:

Another word in a few more days. My imagination flies sky high with this topic. Love it :lol: :lol: :lol: