It is currently 20 Feb 2017, 16:22

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum rules

Heading Format

Site name and date (if needed) where interview came from with a link to the interview. Don't copy and past the interview

Or

Magazine name and date with a typed/scanned copy of the interview. If you typed/scanned it yourself please state if it can be added to the gallery/articles

Unread postPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 20:39 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Well it is that time of year again - thanks for the questions everyone - part two will be posted in a few days (early next week) as soon as it's done I'll post it and all the audio will follow at a later date for member too.

Audio can now be found here viewtopic.php?f=44&t=881
Part one can be found here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=875

001 – What’s next
I really don’t know is the answer. I’m doing a couple of things, there are a number of things being talked about, but nothing that’s absolutely carved in granite. I’m gonna do another day on another movie, literally next week, for a friend, the same sort of set up as that other one, who’s title I think is the one you saw. When I made it, it was called Blind Man’s Bluff or something then they went back to the original title which is the one you got – A Closed Book. I’m also planning on doing a short movie as a director possibly acting in it but I’m not sure about that yet, that’s hopefully going to be in April for a week or so. I’m also working on other things with my production company on so therefore in physical terms I’m going to be very, very involved on a day to day basis with what I’m doing from a production point of view. But in terms of acting at the moment, one of the things I was working on, they put that on hold, there are a couple of theatre things that are being talked about for spring. I’ve been offered a play for the summer which I turned down. I need time at home ‘cos I’ve been on the road for 13 months , so at the moment I’m not particularly worried about it, I’m not in the least bit worried about it. I don’t actually have something specific to g to which is actually the first time about 8 years, that I haven’t known where exactly I’m going to next.

002 – Me - If you were in the Harry Potter universe, what house would you be in and why?
Do you know, I know so little about Harry Potter, I have absolutely no idea how to answer that question what so ever. I think the answer is I’m not in the Harry Potter universe period.

003 – Bob Vincent - Why wasn’t Queen of Swords promoted more in the UK?
Well it’s nothing to do with me because that’s just the nature of the beast. I think, did it get screened in the UK? I think what happens very often with these shows from American/Canadian co productions is if they don’t sell well in their home territory, they don’t do an awful lot with them, because 22 hours of a program is sometimes not enough to warrant going out and spending a lot of time on. I think it was quite a good little series, it could have done fine.

004 - During Casualty I(she) noticed you hair stopped having the blonde highlights in your hair, I'd like to know whose decision that was and why.
It was my decision, because I was getting fed up of doing it and also because I noticed with the very heavy top lighting coming from the fluorescents there were times when it was inconsistent it seems to me in terms of colour, and it didn’t look right and it was a lot to do with the lighting

005 – Jackie - If granted three wishes what would you wish for?
Health, Wealth and time off (chuckle)

006 – Celeste - Recently a person on IMDb has been denigrating Michael Praed's career because he's gone back to theatre rather than doing film or television. It's her contention that theatre is the venue for failed film actors to put on old tired "classics" for ignorant tourists. I'm assuming Simon would disagree with that conclusion. Why would an actor quit a successful television show to do tours with a theatre company? What does Simon think live theatre contribute to the world these days?
I think a number of things, first of all, live theatre is for an actor is absolutely 100% essential, to be directly in contact with an audience live is essential for the development of their craft. You can do so much in a bubble of television, where you can literally and in some cases it happens, people get one take after another wrong, they don’t know how to put it together. Then the work is take away by 3rd parties who cut it around and do all sorts of things with it, they put music on, this that and the other and actually it’s got nothing to do with the performer themselves at all what the end product is. The one things is when you’re telling a story on stage in front of an audience you start at the beginning you finish at the end and they see the whole process, and if you can’t string all that together then you get exposed in the theatre. By being able to do that when you come to work in television and film you’re able to do that on a film set, which means you have much more control over what each scene is because you start to dictate the rhythm because you create the rhythm, not having it created around you. Therefore the chances are that what you see from an actor who has worked in theatre, when you see their television and film work you know it’s their work and not the work of 3rd parties. Actually an awful lot of people who’s movie careers might have gone backwards or sideways or whatever if changed, end up going back to theatre, they don’t go back because there’s nothing else to do or ‘cos it’s a cheap form of whatever or any of those things it’s a way of re-kindling the passion for entertaining with an audience right there and frequently it leads them back into the field they want to be in as well as that work. And it’s not for nothing that some of the best film actors in the world right now keep ducking in and out of small films and doing theatre and whatever, they all want the contact with the audience. Because if you can make an audience laugh and cry and move around with you for real when you’re doing a television studio, you know that what you’re doing from timing perspective probably going to get them in the film/cinema as well, without relying on the editor getting the timing right

007 - Kathryn - If you could play any other Captain, which would you choose?
Let me give you some examples... Captain Jack Sparrow... Captain Hook... Captain "Long" John Silver... Captain Pugwash... Captain Scarlet...
(and my addition Captain Picard) etc etc
[I'd like dramatic pauses between each name please, took me long enough to find them!]
Ironically I was offered, not Captain Picard, but whatever the Captain would have been, so before I did Casualty I made a choice of doing Casualty as opposed to whatever the Captain would have been on Star Trek (shelli - Jonathan Archer – played by the also lovely Scott Bakula) But I didn’t want to do that, I can’t do sci-fi., it just drives me up the wall, it’s all rubbish and spouting that gibberish every day, was no thank you very much. The thing I loved about Casualty was although there was a lot of gobbledygook at least it was all about real life and people and medical situations and that became the challenge. Actually talking about all the so called scientific stuff that really most of the time doesn’t make any sense to anybody what so ever, and looking at a whole bunch of silly people in makeup was just not what I wanted to do with my life so Captain Picard would not be a choice
Captain Pugwash might be rather appropriate. To be honest I’d love to have a crack at a Hook or a Long John Silver because it’s getting to that stage now where a really nice charater like that would be fun to get to grips with, a good character role. Trying to think if there is any particular Captains. I enjoy doing war films, I’ve always liked war films, any body in a military uniform and that kind of stuff. I don’t know, what other Captains are out there? I would love a good character go, Captain Hook, who knows pantomime next year

008 - Tracey - What is your favourite word? (I love this question)
Passion

009 - Debs - If you could meet any famous historical figure, who would it be and why?
So Many. I think probably Winston Churchill, he was just such a charismatic person, such a wide range of interests and knowledge.

010 – Laura - During your career you have played many different and varied roles, is there anything different you would like to sink your teeth into?
It’s a truly boring answer, I don’t actually have anything I’m sort of hankering to play. You kind of go with what’s ever there at any given time. I have never wasted much time thinking ‘Oh I really want to do this, or I really want to do that.’ I’m not sitting here going, I want to do a Coriolanus or a King Lear or whatever, but if one came up you’d seriously think about it. I’d like to do some more roles that’s got the meat of Andrew Wyke in but actually more contemporary

010 – Mel - If you could have a discussion with a political figure who would it be and why – what would you discuss

Well right now, I’d be very interested in having a discussion with the President, new President Obama. I would love to know what really makes him tick

Last edited by shelliwood on 05 Mar 2009, 22:28, edited 4 times in total.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 21:34 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
LOL Captain Hook, now that I'd payyyy to see. Hahaa

I'm chuffed with that answer! I wasn't expecting a serious one. :D

"Especially you" "Be good"

I "ve" my Simonese Twin.
Captain Von Trapp Slapped™.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 04:59 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Andrew Wyke or Simon Doyle or ...
Wonderful! Thank you, Simon.

Thanks, Shelli. I hope you told Simon how much we appreciate him taking the time to answer our questions.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 08:43 
De Viega's Deity
De Viega's Deity

I can't wait to hear the interview. I love to hear him chuckle. :nod:

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 08:49 
Kapturing Kapp
Kapturing Kapp

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Hi Shelli,

thank you so much! Thank you Simon! You both are great!!!

Have a great day!!!!!! By the way today there is someone who has birthday!!!!!!!!!!! :D :nod:

Take care & God bless
Mel

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 11:40 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Patrick Kelly
Wow! Very interesting answers, thank you Simon and Michele. :)

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 16:54 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Excellent interview, great answers thanks Shelli and Simon you are both fab.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 16:58 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon
Great Interview. :D

Thanks to Shelli and also Simon for doing this. :D

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 05 Mar 2009, 22:29 
Lucius' Lover
Lucius' Lover

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper and Capt Von Trapp
Excellent interview and a good reply to my question Simon . Passion is a good word!.

Last bumped by shelliwood on 05 Mar 2009, 22:29.

Report this post