It is currently 17 Jan 2017, 16:04

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum rules

Specific episode discussion to be posted in 'Episode/Film Focus'

Unread postPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 19:39 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Ok following Celeste's announcement on Michael Praed's fanfare that he will be playing Captain Von Trapp in the touring production of Sound of Music, and Simon's comment in an interview last year during Sleuth:
Simon wrote:
"I have always thought of myself as sort of a young Christopher Plummer really, of course Christopher is a far better actor than I will ever be.

"I am just putting myself out there and it is up to employers and the public if they think I am worthy."

Anyone else think Micheal is maybe a 'young' Simon? :roll: It's a small world

*Ducks from Celeste's flying objects* :P

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 19:59 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
I'm sure Michael will give it a right good go though we're going to be 101% biased towards Simon being 'The Captain' - for some people, Christopher Plummer can't be surpassed.

No doubt there'll be quite a bit of banter flying about over the next few months cue Celeste's 'traitor' comments!

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 19:43 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Andrew Wyke or Simon Doyle or ...
Hey! I resemble those remarks!

Michael as a "younger Simon"? It's very flattering, actually, but their age difference isn't that much, Shelli, as you darn well know! (I'm not even going to get into the issue of whether or not Mr Plummer is better than Simon, acting-wise. I suspect we agree on that!). If you really want to call Michael a "younger Simon", feel free, but the men involved may have a few choice comments about it. Probably rather wry and profane comments at that!

Clare, you traitor, you know that I grapple for ANY reason to slap you with the "traitor" label after you began that game!

To be perfectly serious for a moment (don't die of shock), I don't mind disagreements as to who does a "better" job. I am interested in the reasons and would love to hear more about your opinion.

The three gentlemen portraying the captain have different strengths and weaknesses, different physicality, and interpretations of the character. They probably interact with "their" children in different ways since it takes a different set of skills. It will be fascinating to see what those differences are and how it shows up in the portrayal of the captain.

One I can think of immediately is that the role of the captain was written for a man who wasn't necessarily a strong singer. Michael, unlike either Christopher Plummer or Simon, is a gifted vocalist. Not that the other two did badly because they didn't. It's just that this is a skill that Michael has developed that they haven't. Will that subtly change the dynamic between Captain Von Trapp and Maria? We'll find out.

Meanwhile Shelli, please tell Simon to be careful where he walks!

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 20:28 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Last statements first, why should Simon watch where he walks? That scrambled comment is kinda like my brain to be honest!

There's only 8 years between Simon & Michael, don't both guys 'wear it well' as Rod would say - there's another older gentleman I could watch all night.

I suppose any actor who plays The Captain will incorporate their own individual qualities, it should be an interesting comparison between Simon & Michael. Christopher Plummer will remain the original Von Trapp but knowing I was going to the London Palladium was the primary reason I bought and watched the dvd in the first place even though it'd been on tv a million times.

'Greetings' to my fellow traitor in the US of A.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 20:48 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

CLARE wrote:
Last statements first, why should Simon watch where he walks? That scrambled comment is kinda like my brain to be honest!

'Cos Michael is following in his footsteps - where ever Simon goes Micheal has to follow :wink:

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 21:04 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Excuse my 'dumb blonde' moment :o , of course Simon is one step ahead of everyone else. *Ducks Team Michael flying objects*

I still need to fully appreciate Michael after Sleuth, my "Get out of my way, there's Simon coming" moment still haunts me a little. I still feel :oops:

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 21:08 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

CLARE wrote:
Reading the title of the thread might help, Clare... Then again, since we're dealing with your scrambled brain, maybe it won't help! :P

Best wishes from your traitor (so-called!) friend in the US.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 18:17 
Top Poster
Top Poster

I heard Michael singing Love Changes Everything and he performs it impressively, you can tell he's got a vocal background. I'm sure he'll produce an excellent combination of acting & song during his spell as Captain Von Trapp in S.O.M.

I loved Simon's performance as The Captain, he captivates his audience fully while on stage and has an aura about him after show. No doubt Michael does it equally for his own fans.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 00:43 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

If you get a chance to see Michael in the role, I'd really be interested in hearing your thoughts afterwards, Clare. I'm sure they'll handle lines in different ways and I'd love to know what the differences are.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2009, 20:23 
Top Poster
Top Poster

I've got 5 tickets booked for the matinee performance in Edinburgh on Saturday January 23rd, 2010 - just a little closer than London! It seems ages away though.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2009, 22:02 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

CLARE wrote:
I've got 5 tickets booked for the matinee performance in Edinburgh on Saturday January 23rd, 2010 - just a little closer than London! It seems ages away though.
You, Hazel, Ali, ? and ? ?

My birthday's on a Saturday next year? Sweet won't have to book the day off

I'm still trying to decide on going - would be an interesting comparision

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 19 May 2009, 07:39 
Top Poster
Top Poster

shelliwood wrote:
CLARE wrote:
You, Hazel, Ali, ? and ? ?

My birthday's on a Saturday next year? Sweet won't have to book the day off

January 23rd is a family jaunt to S.O.M, the 3 of us will organise a different date. We're awaiting confirmation from another friend on if/when she can make it.

Of course, I've got pre conceived bias towards Simon as The Captain but I'm interested to see Michael perform the Von Trapp role. His musical background is a positive advantage of his part but both guys have qualities which enhance the role.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 22:49 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

shelliwood wrote:
GO, Shelli! The comparison would be interesting, both looking at similarities and differences. Not that I have any doubt which you'll prefer...

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 17:17 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

It's veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tempting. I have a few friends that want to go and I'd love to see Connie & Michael! Depends on dates and monies though! But SoM!!!!! :wub: I'll probably get talked into doing Sunderland maybeeee. :)

"Especially you" "Be good"

I "ve" my Simonese Twin.
Captain Von Trapp Slapped™.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 17:32 
Top Poster
Top Poster

My 2nd 'date' with Michael is Saturday February 6th in *growl* Edinburgh, I've emphasised the fact that I'm not going to see Mr Praed play The Captain more that I saw Simon perform - that just wouldn't be right! I couldn't possibly do that!

I'm looking forward to it immensely right enough, no excuses to stample over Michael to get to Simon this time ref: my Sleuth moment.

Report this post