It is currently 27 Feb 2017, 10:33

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum rules

Specific episode discussion to be posted in 'Episode/Film Focus'

Unread postPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 21:55 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
Saturday is almost upon me and my 1st experience of Michael playing The Captain, our day begins at 10.40am when the train departs for Edinburgh for the matinee performance. Hoping to catch Michael before he goes into The Playhouse.

'Break a leg' Michael and enjoy your time in Scotland. Simon, you're still my No.1 Captain.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 22:06 
Top Poster
Top Poster

I enjoyed Sound of Music this afternoon, Michael makes a great Captain. Managed to catch Michael pre show - he was lovely. Here's our photo

Attachments:
Me and Michael.JPG
Me and Michael.JPG [ 45.97 KiB | Viewed 409 times ]
Report this post

Unread postPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 22:18 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Andrew Wyke or Simon Doyle or ...
And did you claim responsibility for the stiletto tracks scarring his body? :P

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 18:46 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Celeste wrote:
And did you claim responsibility for the stiletto tracks scarring his body? :P

No admission of guilt direct to Michael as yet Celeste, he was running late so didn't have much time, I'll do my best to explain my previous misdemeanors on February 6th. My Sleuth moment was all Simon's fault, he came out too quickly after Michael - I couldn't help it.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 00:46 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

CLARE wrote:
My Sleuth moment was all Simon's fault, he came out too quickly after Michael - I couldn't help it.
Wait! You're blaming this on SIMON?!? :? Next, you'll be blaming Michael for preceding Simon through the door! Neither excuse will do, Clare!

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 15:46 
Translator - French
Translator - French

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon Doyle
Sorry Celeste,

I think Clare is right, both men are to blame : what a woman can do with two gorgeous and lovely men, except loose control ??? :P
What else she could have done if both did get out fast ?

:lol:

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 22:07 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Visit No.2 to S.O.M in Edinburgh is edging ever closer, it's the matinee performance again for me this coming Saturday (06/02). The nun outfit is at the ready though I don't usually make a 'habit' of dressing like that - honest, I don't! I'll wait till I arrive in Edinburgh before getting into costume, I could get a few strange looks during the 60 minute train journey while enjoying a few liquid refreshments. :P

I really enjoyed watching Michael play The Captain though my preference remains with Simon, he seems to afford the role more authority as a character and on stage presence. Michael's singing is of a superior quality, God loves a trier though. I think it's just 2 different individual interpretations of a particular character, Simon & Michael have their own styles.

One scene is of particular interest to me - Naval uniform & hat :wub:

Celeste, I reckon my Sleuth indiscretion will be banished to history soon after seeing both productions twice. What Captain couldn't forgive a nun?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 00:49 
Mikah's Muse
Mikah's Muse

CLARE wrote:
Celeste, I reckon my Sleuth indiscretion will be banished to history soon after seeing both productions twice. What Captain couldn't forgive a nun?

Clare in a nun's habit. That's almost worth the price of admission right there! :P

Nadeia, I might have known you'd see it Clare's way and blame the poor men for Clare's impulsiveness. I'm sticking up for Simon and Michael. Someone has to! Lol! Girls, control yourselves despite the temptation they offer!

Yes, Clare. I think you'll be forgiven after this venture. After all, this particular Captain MARRIES a nun (well, she's almost a nun)! Not many can claim that!

I always find it interesting to see how actors choose to portray the same role. Simon's Captain used his authority to keep people at a distance so he wouldn't get hurt. It's a good interpretation and I have no problem picturing Simon conveying authority. I think he could do it with his eyes shut at this point! Think of Harry Harper.

From what I'm reading (because, of course, I haven't seen the performances) I think Michael is trying to portray a man who is emotionally bankrupt and shut down. That leads to a flat emotional response to everything. To those who aren't aware that it is a deliberate choice, they may think the actor himself is a bit stiff... but in fact that is how Michael sees the Captain. (It doesn't happen to just Michael, of course. I've seen the same accusations fly with other actors/actresses portraying reserved characters.)

Two different interpretations, two different ways of portraying the same character. Both have a basis within the script. It is the viewer's personal choice as to which s/he prefers, and how successful they perceive the actor has been in pulling it off.

And that is one of the reasons why theatre can be so fascinating -- even within performances of the same play.

Peacefully yours,

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 21:35 
Translator - French
Translator - French

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Simon Doyle
ha ha !
Well done Celeste !!!
Yes, Clare wearing a nun outfit sounds interesting. But she's a very lovely lady, so her impulsiveness can be forgiven.
Both men are so :wub:
They play different Captain and it's very interesting. You're right on their different plays and wish to add that our Simon (our n°1) played the Captain with authority certainly, but also with a big touch of his class. They both bring a lot of their own personality to the show. The show is a big success. I wish to Michael to "break a leg" and to have a continuous success with this show during all the tour.
Simon was of course for me the best Captain though. For sure, Michael will have success, and he will have one of his new fans coming to see him for the second time this saturday. Not a lot of actors have such a fan. But they get what they deserve !!!

Have a new great time Clare !!!
Sometimes, it's good to be a "traitor" !!! :P

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 21:42 
Top Poster
Top Poster

As promised, 'Sister Clare' appeared at the Edinburgh Playhouse stage door today - surprisingly I got some really strange looks. I don't usually make a habit of dressing like this to be honest.

Attachments:
S.O.M 06.02.10 (1).jpg
S.O.M 06.02.10 (1).jpg [ 51.42 KiB | Viewed 359 times ]
Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 May 2010, 12:00 
Top Poster
Top Poster

:punish: I'll have to face the wrath of Captain Corky I suppose, I'm now booked up to see Michael in S.O.M for a 3rd time, once more than I did Simon - Saturday October 30th at the Liverpool Empire theatre.

:corks: You're still my No.1 captain Simon.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 21:09 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Next Saturday at the Empire Theatre, Liverpool is gonna be a rollercoaster of emotions, I'm really looking forward to visiting Michelle & her family and seeing Michael perform as The Captain in S.O.M but Simon at the London Palladium (05.12.08 & 21.02.09) was the shinning light behind my introduction to this theatre production. I loved the Palladium version and, of course, Simon was exceptional in his role, what a stage presence he had.

I expect that there will be a few moments of reflection which I hope Michael would appreciate, I'm hoping that we'll manage to catch a few moments of his time, he was really generous when I met him twice outside the Edinburgh Playhouse stage door.

Report this post