It is currently 17 Jan 2017, 18:20

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum rules

Heading Format
Series - Episode Name - Episode Number - (Scene if applicable)
Queen Of Swords- Runaways - 01x?? - The sword fight

Any episode/film can be discussed at anytime - if there is not a topic for it already start one.

General charater discussion to be posted in the 'General forum'

Rate the Film
Excellent 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Very Good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Fair 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Poor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 1
 Post subject: A Closed Book
Unread postPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 18:37 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Harry Harper
:D I received my copy today via HMV online, hopefully I'll manage to watch over the weekend.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: 2009 - A Closed Book
Unread postPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 19:28 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Favourite 'Simon' Character: Jonathan Chase
Mine's been dispatched - hopefully it will turn up a day early (i.e. tomorrow)

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 10:06 
De Viega's Deity
De Viega's Deity

Great, that means I'm going to receive it next week as well, I hope.
Only thing is that I'm on Tenerife next week with my husband. Going to check out the stormy weather over there :lol:

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 23:15 
Top Poster
Top Poster

My opinion: Apart from Simon's scene, pure dross :worried: there was a few interesting lines though. "My Glaswegian housekeeper Mrs Kilbride - poor soul" (Tom Conti) and Simon's "Me & Susan......." line are 2 that stick out. The film time is 84 minutes which isn't too bad to be honest.

My old man was questioning why I'd bought this film before realising Simon was in it, I got the look as if he should've known better. Of course he should have for goodness sake.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 23:46 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

The reviews I read has compared it to Sleuth - tho the stars were low?

I have got it - too tired to try and watch it now - will do it tomorrow, expect cappies in tomorrows update!

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 11:31 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Hmmm interesting - kinda predicable ending - one of them had to go.

Loved Miriam Margolyes accent/voices - she is brilliant at them, remember the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny?

Spoiler:
I've met a man with no eyes before - I'm pretty sure they didn't look like that, would have expected hollow's

Simon's little bit was nice, interesting to see, and like Clare smiled at the 'Susan' ref

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 17:48 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

Just looking at Shelli's caps. Particularly liking the poster behind which says "As addictive to women as chocolate". I want to know what it's advertising and why it would be in his office. Hahaa. Haven't seen film as yet but it already gets a ten for production values. :P (Not to mention because they've given him a Mac and not a PC. :P

"Especially you" "Be good"

I "ve" my Simonese Twin.
Captain Von Trapp Slapped™.

Last edited by Kathie on 21 Feb 2010, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 17:53 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Kathie wrote:
Particularly liking the poster behind which says "As addictive to women as chocolate". I want to know what it's advertising and why it would be in his office.
He's a publisher show it would be advertising a book (boook - translation for Kathie :roll: *ducks*)

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 19:53 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

EY! I'll have none of this Northern mocking!!! I saw that book it was advertising in another cap. :P Funnnyyy. Looks like a nice office! Looking forward to the film now. (:

I "ve" my Simonese Twin.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 23:23 
Top Poster
Top Poster

I read a review at the weekend giving it 2/5 suggesting the casting of Daryl Hannah didn't quite work though complimentary of Tom Conti. No mention of Simon though.

The make up people done a fantastic job emphasising 'Sir Paul's' blindness, what I will say about Tom Conti is that his physique (bath scene) could alter the genre of the film from thriller to horror :| - I don't mean to appear unkind with that comment - I suppose at 68 years of age......! Ah well, you can take the boy out of Paisley but not Paisley out the boy.

Anyway, the film worth worth watching for Simon's scene even though it was ever too short.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 10:00 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

My copy came yesterday. :) I don't think I've got time to watch it until the weekend so I'll get back to you... :P Two stars is better than the review I read. ;) I'm still looking forward to it! :D In depth analysis to come, beware. :D Tee heeee.

I "ve" my Simonese Twin.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 13:49 
FitzRoyce Fancier
FitzRoyce Fancier

Ok I've watched it.... Now I'm going to try my hardest to say something nice about this film but it might take a lot of effort. :P

Firstly, Simon was probably the best thing about that film, and I'm not even saying that because he was the reason I watched it in the first place but I just thought his scene was really lovely and was a much needed scene to cut the tension. It really lifted what was previously a slow, sludgy, gloomy feel (whether that was intentional or not). His scene was very natural and just seemed to stand out compared to the other scenes with Elaine Paige and Miriam Margolyes. Elaine's scene was the strangest cameo I think I've ever seen... I think she should stick to singing. :P

In addition, I really liked the locations and sets, production values were very good. :) (see I can be nice!!! :P ). Although CGI London when Jane was in the car was pretty bad. :/ I wasn't particularly impressed by the DoP. Specifically, when Sir Paul was in the bath I didn't understand the need to cut his arm off in the aid of having an out of focus shower head in shot, moving the camera to the left would have completely solved this... which I presume is the point when they realised there was a mirror behind the bath.... oops. ;) That's just me nitpicking but it's something I'd have picked up on. I did like the lighting in that scene though, very dramatic. One shot I really did like was of Jane walking down the stairs, it was a very nice Dutch angle shot and I thought if they'd gradually used more of those by the end of the film I would have felt more disturbed by Jane's actions.

I was disappointed in general with the camera shots and also the editing, it didn't flow as cleanly as it should have to match the feel of the film. There were moments (especially when Sir Paul was first interviewing Jane in his library) where I thought the editing was particularly poor. At times when Jane was speaking the shot was still facing Sir Paul when he was not reacting to anything she was saying. The MS of Jane would have been a better idea instead of making me look at the side of her face (which was badly dubbed). That's just petty but if it were me I'd edit that until it looked right.

Music was nice, it fit with the visuals but I did notice the main motif was exactly the same as the leitmotif for the Shark in Deep Blue Sea & I couldn't get that out of my head the whole time I was watching it. :P

With regards to acting I thought Tom Conti gave a respectable and believable representation of a blind person. Daryl Hannah, on the other hand, was pretty awful to be brutally honest. She just seemed forced, particularly near the end of the film where she looked uncomfortable and over-exaggerated. I think she may have been cast because of who she is and not because she fits the profile of the character, anyone would have given a more intimate performance IMO. She didn't connect with the audience and because of that by the "big reveal" by the end I wasn't sure who's side I was meant to be on.

Screenplay itself I found a rather quirky idea but I didn't take anything away from it, possibly because of the above mentioned issue. There were a couple of moments where I had to laugh out loud; pulling the bear's eye off, her walking around with no clothes on (?!?!?!?!?!) and the scene in the bed (even more !?!?!?!?!?!?). At the end you can realise why these scenes were included but upon first viewing they just seem stupid and nonsensical.

Ohhh and those dramatic zooms were AWFUL! I'm not kidding seriously that could have looked SO GOOD but no it just looked fake and cliche; & the trombone shot just looked like a mistake.

I've been so unkind but there was no way you could ask me to write a review and not mention these little problems. :P I did enjoy the film, it was much anticipated, I know there's probably several very reasonable explanations to what I've mentioned, time/budget etc but I know, better than ANYONE you can do anything on no budget whatsoever! :P Little things with regards to the production itself could have been better and I'm not just saying that I genuinely think I could have done a better job myself! Hahaa.

I didn't mean to write this much, I always get carried away when critically analysing texts. :P Hope it makes some sense!

I "ve" my Simonese Twin.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 15:27 
De Viega's Deity
De Viega's Deity

I received my copy as well. Last week but I was on a holiday on Tenerife.
Will probably watch it this week but first I have a laundry marathon to make.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: A Closed Book
Unread postPosted: 13 May 2010, 23:09 
Scar Hunter
Scar Hunter

Added a poll to the first post

Report this post